Central New York

Infant Ibuprofen Recall Drives Concern

https://youtu.be/ckgsbwCbdDM

By Kayla Burton SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC NEWS)- A recent recall for store-brands’ Infant Ibuprofen was issued after New Jersey-based pharmaceutical company Tris Pharma said there have been possibly found to be more Ibuprofen concentration contained in the bottle, than prescribed, sold at CVS, Walmart and Family Dollar.  Half-ounce bottles of the liquid ibuprofen are supposed to contain 50 mg per 1.25 mL of the pain-reliever/fever-reducer medication. Although there have not been any records of children having serious effects from using this product, symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting and nausea,  are results.

Manlius’ St. Joseph’s Family Physician Dr. James Tucker said that this national issue is not something anyone should take lightly.

“It’s an everyday occurrence that kids have something. So I bet it will affect potentially a million people or more. So I think it’s a reason for concern.” Tucker said.

Tucker also added that while parents should take caution of this recall, it is unnecessary to “blow this out of proportion,”  considering the child will most-likely recover quickly after taking the product, in addition to there not being any recorded issues so far.

A mother of two young boys, Tonya White, said she typically does not trust local pharmacies when it comes to her children using medicine. After hearing about the recall, White said even though she did not purchase Infant Ibuprofen from these stores, as a mother it is a big concern that she could have bought this product and fed it to her kids.

I could’ve bought a bottle of Ibuprofen from CVS in the Spring and could’ve pulled it out last night when he [her son] was sick and I didn’t know. So, you definitely don’t want to give your child something that will make him more sick, when he’s already sick.” White said.
Tucker, who works with infants, said that considering this recall just came out in the news, no parents have come up to him with concern so far, but expects that to change quickly. White said she is very informed on what is going on around her and her family, keeping up with the news, however, she said she did not hear about this and that concerns her even more.
“I didn’t know about this at all, which is scary to me because I’m usually very on top of my news.” White said. “I’m also really careful about what kind of medications I give my kids and I prefer to use that kind of stuff as a last resort and let their bodies and immune system work stuff out. So I’m already careful about that so it’s more concerning for someone with that kind of perspective and practice.”
Doctors suggest anyone who has been using this product should go to their children’s’ doctor. Additional questions about the recall can be directed to Tris Customer Service at 732-940-0358 (Monday through Friday, 8:00am ET- 5:00pm PT) or via email at micc_tris@vigilarebp.com.