Government

Onondaga County Legislature Chairman Reacts to Mahoney’s Resignation

The outside view of Onondaga County Courthouse where earlier today, Ryan McMahon announced his plans to be appointed the next Onondaga County executive. Image (c) 2018 PJ Clark

Click the play button above to hear Onondaga County Legislature Chairman Ryan McMahon discuss his effort to replace Joanie Mahoney after she leaves office.

Audio transcript: PJ Clark McMahon Wrap 9.24.18

By PJ Clark SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) —  Shortly after Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney announced her resignation this morning, Ryan McMahon got to work.

McMahon, the chairman of the Onondaga County Legislature, began gathering support from his colleagues and loved ones before formally announcing that he will seek to be appointed as Mahoney’s replacement.

“I spoke to my colleagues this morning about what transpired and many of them encouraged me to put my name forward,” McMahon said.  “It’s been something I’ve looked at for a while, so after consulting with my wife, my family and my colleagues, I put forward my name.”

McMahon was backed by a majority of the Onondaga County Legislature during his press conference earlier today.  The Legislature will vote on the appointment sometime in early October.

If appointed, McMahon, a Republican, said things in Onondaga County would be more of the same.

“We’re going to continue to do the things we’ve been doing,” he said.  “Our property tax rates are at all-time lows, we have a healthy credit rating, we’ve been making strategic investments in our entertainment infrastructure, as well as we need to make a lot of investments in our regular infrastructure.”

While McMahon would aim to continue projects that Mahoney started, he had ideas for his own areas of focus if given the job.

“I want to narrow in on poverty, both urban and rural,” McMahon said.  “There’s a lot to do that we’ve been working on collaboratively, but now the roles are going to change a little bit.”

While Mahoney’s announcement came as a shock to much of the county, McMahon was more thrown off by the timing as opposed to the announcement itself.

“I think the timing of this was surprising,” he said.  “I think the idea that Joanie might not run for re-election was not surprising, but I think the timing was a little surprising.”

“I know her well, and I know that people have wanted her for other jobs in the past, and it’s not surprising that this type of job looked for her,” he added.

Mahoney, who is leaving her position mid-term to become the chief operating officer for the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, has said she will stay on as county executive until the 2019 budget is passed in October.  She begins at her new job on November 1.