Central New York, Government, Politics, Syracuse

McMahon Looking to Become County Executive

By CJ Santosuosso  SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC NEWS) – Two major announcements came out of Onondaga County politics today.

First, County Executive Joanie Mahoney announced she would be stepping down to take a position at SUNY-ESF within the next month.

Two hours later, Ryan McMahon, the County Legislature Chairman, said he’d hope to take her place.

“After considering the recent news with my family and my colleagues, I will be seeking the appointment of County Executive from my colleagues to fill out the remainder of the term,” said the Chairman, who has served in his post since 2012.

This came after an announcement that there would not be a special election for the position, due to Mahoney stepping down so close to election day.

In order for McMahon to take over the position he would need an appointment resolution to pass. In order for that resolution to pass McMahon would need a sponsor and nine votes.

13 of McMahon’s colleagues joined him at the podium during his announcement. At one point they applauded in support.

If McMahon is appointed he says he would seek reelection come next November.

“I have no interest in being a place holder,” he said.

McMahon said he found out about Mahoney’s plans to step down within the last 24 hours.

At this time no challengers have stepped forward.

“I don’t think that will happen judging by the support my colleagues have expressed to me, and I am very humbled by that,” said McMahon.

Before serving on the County Legislature, McMahon was a member of the Syracuse Common Council.