Central New York, Community, Non-profit

Habitat for Humanity Restores More Than Homes

Syracuse’s Habitat for Humanity has a retail store called ReStore next to its main office. (c) 2018 Sunny Tsai

Click here to learn more about ReStore, Syracuse’s Habitat for Humanity’s retail store. 

Audio Transcript: News Feature Habitat for Humanity

By Sunny Tsai SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News)— The summer’s heat waves and floods are slowing down the rate of construction for a Syracuse non-profit, but this does not stop the organization from serving the community.

Syracuse’s Habitat for Humanity is a branch of the international non-profit housing organization with the same name. The Syracuse organization focuses on building homes throughout Onondaga County. It has built and renovated over 70 houses since 1986.

Syracuse’s Habitat opened a retail store called ReStore in 2004 to provide furniture and other household goods at a lower price to the public. Store manager Tony Williams said ReStore was started to supply different options to the community. It was created for people who cannot afford a brand new set of goods from bigger stores like Home Depot. He said these donated goods save people a lot of money. For example, a new item may be sold at 30 percent off retail price, and most of the other items are 50 to 70 percent off what customers would normally pay.

Williams also said that the recent weather changes have deterred the construction that volunteers signed up to work on. This leaves the construction manager to figure out alternative plans. Located within the vicinity of the construction site and Habitat’s Syracuse office is ReStore.

ReStore has a volunteer program to help run the warehouse. The retail store receives donations daily and the staff also provides a donation pick-up service. There is a donation checklist on ReStore’s website detailing what the store accepts and where and how to donate.

“Everybody needs a home. We just try to do the best we can to help people, supply, give them that need, just a sense of owning their own,” said Williams.

All proceeds of the store are used to fund the construction at Syracuse’s Habitat for Humanity.