Click the play button above to learn about the economic impact of the Syracuse Nationals on the region
Audio transcript: LaRowe assignment 2A wrap car show
By Jonathan LaRowe SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC NEWS) – The Syracuse Nationals car show will return to the New York State Fairgrounds this weekend. The event will run from Friday through Sunday and is expected to bring in a substantial amount of business to the area.
Rob O’Connor, the event director for the Syracuse Nationals, said the people from VisitSyracuse tourism told him that the event brings in roughly 13 to 15 million dollars a year to the region.
“There’s numerous hotels that are sold out in the area. We draw not only car people but spectators from all over,” O’Connor said.
Last year there were approximately 85,000 people that attended the car show. O’Connor expects even more to come this year because of the increase in vendors and the addition of several new attractions.
This year’s show will have over 450 vendors and over 8,000 show cars. Many people also choose to camp out at the fairgrounds as roughly 600 campers will be parked on the premises.
O’Connor said that this year’s car show will have an “old school” feel to it. Saturday night there will be a free drive-in movie that will be shown on a big screen in addition to free popcorn and fireworks.
Continuing with the vintage theme, there will be a new attraction this year called the “wall of death.” The show will feature a 30-foot, circular wall that motorcycle riders will ride on performing tricks at an almost horizontal angle to the ground.
“Every year our challenge is to reinvent ourselves and to make the show bigger and better and give people a reason to come back again,” O’Connor said.