Central New York, Community, Non-profit, Poverty, Religion, Syracuse

More Than 300 Volunteers Come to CNY for 1st ‘Workcamp’

By Tommy Farrell SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) – The 1st Annual Syracuse Workcamp is taking place until June 30th with more than 300 teenagers from six states to help repair homes for the elderly, disabled, as well as low-income families.

The one-week program is sponsored by the Group Mission Trips in Fort Collins, Colorado and the Onondaga Presbyterian Church in Syracuse.

The first project took place on Rider Avenue where teenagers, with the help of adult volunteers, built a fence for Patricia Sims. Sims, whom is legally blind, takes care of her husband with dementia with their service dog, “Bach.”

The volunteers built a fence in the backyard because Sims wanted to return the favor to her service dog.

“He’s a good dog and he needs to run around,” Sims said. “He does a good job working. He’s a good worker and he deserves relaxation. So to run around makes him feel good, I can tell how he treats me when he comes to me after he ran awhile.”

As for the volunteers, one Connecticut native also felt good.

“It really made me feel good about myself,” Matt DeRienzo said. “Helping other people is such a great thing. What I found the best about it is, everybody can donate money to something, but when you’re really out there physically helping someone, there’s nothing better than that.”

If you want to donate or join the Syracuse Workcamp go their website here.

For other community service opportunities, visit Volunteer CNY. 

By the Numbers:

• 316 participants between 14 to 20 years old
  • Represented by New York, Indiana, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and North Carolina
  • Over $55,000 has been raised
  • More than 70 volunteers will help the youth during the workcamp