Central New York, Transportation

New York Makes E-ZPass Easier To Get

E-ZPass sign underneath Exit 35 on the New York State Thruway. (c) 2018 Emily Adelman

By Emily Adelman SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) — Starting Feb. 1, the New York State Thruway has an interesting proposition for commuters who are unwilling to make the switch to an E-ZPass.

New customers are eligible to receive $10 worth of credit on their new pass if they make 10 or more trips on the Thruway within six months of purchasing the device.

The most difficult part of the task is convincing non-E-Passers to buy one.

“I mean, both of my parents have one, but I don’t. Not in this car I don’t,” student driver Jack Henkels stated. Henkels is a student in Central New York and commutes to and from Philadelphia every semester.

“I would definitely think about buying one now,” Henkels said after learning of the discount. “I mean, if you think about it, it really is a safety issue. Nobody likes ‘that guy’ at the toll booth that takes a long time putting his money in. You know I’m not looking at oncoming traffic, I am veering, you know, here and there trying to get in the right lane.”

While Henkels sees the positive in having an E-ZPass in his car, many other people have had them and see the positives they bring to their daily commute.

“It is definitely a plus,” commuter Brigid Daly said. “I don’t have to go around looking for change, and I can easily blow right through the tolls with my E-ZPass.”

To be eligible for the discount, the buyer must register the E-ZPass between February 1 through 26. Drivers can buy one online and it will be activated within 24 hours. There are also over 700 locations in the area to purchase an E-ZPass.

“It’s just safer to have an E-Z Pass and to not really have to worry about it,” Henkels said.