Central New York, Sports

Syracuse Football Leans On Offensive Warrior

Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey has exited each of the last two seasons with injury. Still standing, he looks to lead the Orange to a bowl game in 2017.

By Jake Marsh (SYRACUSE, N.Y. – NCC NEWS) – There is no other way around it. Eric Dungey is the leader of the Syracuse offense.

A junior from Lake Oswego, Oregon, Dungey shed a huge burst of relief after the Orange’s monumental upset over Clemson nearly a month ago.

In addition, he picked out the naysayers who didn’t believe in his team.

“Can I just get a quick show of hands, who thought we were going to win today?” Dungey, all pumped up at the Carrier Dome podium, was smiling from cheek to cheek. “Honestly, who thought we were going to win? It’s just us. Nobody believes in us and that’s fine.”

The quarterback continued to to talk about the love for the SU program, specifically, the people involved.

“At the end of the day, I put my pads on to play for these guys next to me, the seniors, Coach Babers, all these guys,” he said. “Everyone out there, it feels good. Nobody believes in us except for us.

But before Dungey could enjoy this win over the reigning national champions, he was forced to exit each of the last two seasons with injury.

His head coach, Dino Babers, says the junior’s loose playstyle helps the team.

“I think that chip on his shoulder, that edge, makes him what he is,” the second-year head coach said. “I think it’s a positive thing for him, it gets him going. It energizes our offense and it energizes our football team as well. It’s reckless, it’s dangerous, and it’s exciting.”