Community

Remembering Britny

By Alessandra Riemer SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) —On February 13th 2016, Syracuse University lost a member of it’s community to suicide. Britny Kabic was a student at S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a member of Tri Delta Sorority.

After Britny’s passing, her roommate Krista Maloney said she was unsure if she would ever be able to come back to Syracuse. Through the help and support of her sorority, Krista said it was them who helped her heal and gave her the strength and courage to come back to Syracuse,”Tridelt really helped me kind of make sure that 1) I was ok and 2) that I could continue my life at Syracuse, at Tridelt. They offered I would even say better support than my parents even could because they also knew Britny.”

Krista said she wanted to find a way to remember Britny with her sorority and have raised thousands of dollars this year alone for the American Foundation For Suicide Prevention. They also participated in the Out Of The Darkness Walk in Liverpool which is a walk dedicated to suicide awareness and prevention.

There’s also something their doing Krista said as a sorority that is extremely special to her, “Bowling for Britny, which is going to be an annual philanthropy, it’s going to be basically a bowling night to raise money and donate it to the suicide prevention foundation. I’m really excited for that because Britny was a bowler in high school and it was something that she was really good at and passionate about in high school.”

Tuesday night a candle light vigil for Syracuse students that have passed away was held at Hendricks Chapel where Krista gave a speech honoring Britny. Krista said that she will continue to live for Britny and in her honor, “Just live every day in the moment, live for those who can’t live. I live every day for Britny because she’s not here. I love harder, live harder, try and accomplish as many things in her memory just because she can’t.”