Central New York, Community, Feature, Sports

Syracuse Basketball’s Sideline Story

By Sean Salisbury, Syracuse N.Y., (NCC News) — The dribbles echo throughout the entire gym. The swish of the net is as smooth and sweet as the country music playing in his headphones. The simple, right-handed shooting stroke may remind someone of one of the many heralded players to play on the same court he stands on. The only thing is, Ky Feldman isn’t looking to make an impact on the floor for Syracuse as a player. In his four years in central New York, the Los Angeles native is trying to get the most out of his college experience in a different way.

“I’ve always known I’ve wanted to be in basketball my whole life,” said Feldman. “Once I went into high school I knew I probably wasn’t going to play in the NBA. So I thought the next best thing would be to get into coaching.”

Feldman took the chance to move across the country and attend one of college basketball’s most storied programs. He opted to turn down multiple scholarship offers to smaller Division II and III and became a walk-on in 2015.

“To be a coach at a Division I level, there are big things you need to understand that you wouldn’t get at a different level,” Feldman added. “The talent and speed don’t translate at those other places. It’s a lot closer to how professionals are, and just what it takes. Managing school, managing workouts and practice and seeing that first-hand helps me for the future as a coach.”

Syracuse assistant coach Adrian Autry, right, yells at Syracuse’s Ky Feldman, left, as he shoots before an NCAA college basketball NIT game against Mississippi in Syracuse, N.Y., Saturday, March 18, 2017. (AP Photo/Nick Lisi)

In two complete years at Syracuse, the Junior has built great relationships with Syracuse’s Adrian Autry Sr., and former Associate Head Coach Mike Hopkins. He also has had close ties with players, including the Orange’s latest 1st round pick Tyler Lydon. The two were roommates last year.

Once Freshmen, Tyler Lydon and Feldman warm-up before a non-conference game against Montana State in Syracuse, N.Y., Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2015. (AP Photo/Nick Lisi)

The journey is a long way from being complete, but the toughest part is over. Feldman has entered a great program and already put in the groundwork to start his career. From watching film constantly in between classes or staying at the Melo Center late into the night his plan is in the works.

“I know becoming a Head Coach is going to take a long time. I’m happy where I am now, and I know I am going to be ready once I graduate. This school has already done a great job preparing me for my future.”