Central New York, History, Technology

SUNY Upstate Medical Professor Develops New App To Help Ease Understanding Research Methods

By Chris Jastrzembski SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) — It’s called mixed methods research, and it’s not the easiest thing to understand at times. But one SUNY Upstate medical professor is trying to make the learning curve simple and easy.

Shuhong Luo began developing her mixed methods app back in 2014 alongside Doctor John Creswell, a professor of family medicine at the University of Michigan. Creswell was Luo’s professor when she was working on her Master’s degree in nursing informatics at the University of Nebraska.

Even though she had some previous IT experience, Luo knew nothing about developing an app. But her self confidence never deterred her.

“Doctor Creswell encouraged me to do it,” Luo said. “I believed that I can do it, just without any reason.”

Mixed methods involves collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, before merging both pieces of data to gain new insight into a person’s research.

The focus of Luo’s app is to reduce the complexity of mixed methods content and streamline the learner’s understanding of the topic. and delivers the core based on the learner’s goal.

Luo wants her nursing students to think outside the box when they’re conducting research.

“I encourage them to go beyond the boundary,” Luo said. “Anything that’s already been done doesn’t mean it’s right. We have to think differently.”

It took about a year and a half for Luo to create this app. And even though she faced many struggles and difficulties throughout, she never backed down from those challenges.

“I really had no fear because I was fostered by the support that Doctor Creswell gave me,” Luo said.

Whenever she’s not teaching at SUNY Upstate, Luo continues to be in contact with Creswell. She’s relied on him for advice, and calls him her biggest influence.

If you’re interested in learning in this complicated research, you can download the app today. It’s free for Android devices, while those with Apple devices will have to pay 99 cents.