By Brendan Tierney SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) — No one has been arrested in the shooting that ended Syracuse’s 83 days without a homicide on Monday night. Naqual Bloodworth, 21, of Syracuse, died after being shot on the 500 block of Gifford St. in the city’s Near West Side, police said.
Syracuse Police responded to reports of a shooting around 10:40 p.m. on Monday, April 3, 2017, police said. Police found Bloodworth suffering from a gunshot wound when they arrived at the scene, police said.
Paramedics took Bloodworth to Upstate University Hospital where he died shortly after his arrival, police said.
As of Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. a police spokesperson said the homicide investigation was still ongoing, but Syracuse City Police did not have a suspect at the time. No additional information is available.
This is the third homicide of 2017 in Syracuse, Sgt. Richard Helterline, Syracuse police spokesman, said.
The previous two homicides occurred on Jan. 10, 2017 when teenaged brothers, Daniel and Ismael Diaz-Marrero, were shot and killed after an attempted robbery on the 300 block of Grant Ave. in Syracuse’s Westside, police said.
Police arrested and charged three men, ranging from age 17 to 23, in relation to this double homicide two days after the shooting.
Police asked anyone with information related to either homicide case to contact the Syracuse Police Department Criminal Investigations Division or submit an anonymous tip using the “SPD Tips” app.
Police had reported at least six homicides by this point last year, according to police reports.