Agriculture, Consumer, food

Prices at Fayetteville Farmer’s Market Rise, Customers Don’t Budge

By Jake Marsh FAYETTEVILLE, N.Y. (NCC News) — Farmers and vendors around Central New York gathered at the Fayetteville Towne Center for the monthly Farmer’s Market on Thursday afternoon.

Though the snow was falling and the outdoor temperatures hit below 20 degrees, customers still came out in full force. Most of them were eager to get their hands on the freshest food in the area.

Farmer’s Market Manager Lacey Cashman says this week’s event did not look much different than the weekly ones held in the summer.

Fayetteville Farmer’s Market Manager Lacey Cashman weights a sack of potatoes on March 2, 2017. (C) Jake Marsh

“The prices are pretty consistent from summer to winter,” Cashman said. “Some of the things that are more scare in vegetables can be a little more expensive, but most produce people keep it about the same.”

Though there was an overall small price jump on a bulk of the items, the customers’ interest remained strong. The most important thing, to them, was the quality of the food being sold.

“They [the food items] may be a little bit more expensive I think as the winter has gone on,” said Tracey Wright, a frequent Market customer. “I may make different choices and I may buy more of the ingredients to make the dishes myself, as opposed to making premade things.”

Brian Wilkins, a Central New York resident, came to this month’s Farmer’s Market with the idea of buying meals in bulk. He said he was interested in buying enough food to hold his family over until next month’s opening.

“We do our best, honestly,” Wilkins said. “We try to get as much of the food that we can keep for the month here. And then we sort of augment as best as we can. Obviously, it’s best in the summer time when we can come every week and get everything we need.”

While Wright tries to get as much of her food as possible at the Farmer’s Market, she said she sometimes takes different routes when the prices go up.

The Fayetteville Farmer’s Market took place at the Fayetteville Towne Center on March 2, 2017. (C) Jake Marsh

“I actually have to balance that out based on what my budget is,” she said. “I may make different choices and my dollar may go a little bit further. And I do have to weigh that out.”

Cashman said that since she hosts the Farmer’s Market once a month in the winter compared to weekly in the summer, the overall business does slow down a bit.

“Everybody expects to be lighter in the winter time,” she said. “We have a lot more markets in the summer, but a lot of us [farmer’s] do multiple markets per month as well. So generally, it’s about half of the income.”