Central New York, Community, Government, Sports

Former SU Women’s Lacrosse Player is Ready for her next Career Path

By Jared Barton SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) —Last season, the Syracuse Women’s Lacrosse Team welcomed senior Goalkeeper Allie Murray to the squad.

The Notre Dame Transfer did her part to lead the Orange to a successful year with a deep post season run. The Syracuse finished 2nd in the ACC Tournament and advanced to the NCAA Final Four.

In 2017, Murray joined the team once again, this time as a grad assistant coach. As she finishes her degree in childhood and family studies, Head Coach Gary Gait welcomed her back to help the program.

“Getting the opportunity for playing for Gary and Regy [Thorpe] is just an unbelievable experience,” says Murray. “They definitely make lacrosse it’s own brand and it’s own unique environment so I have just been lucky so I have just been luck y to be a part of the Syracuse Family for sure.”

Murray is settling into her new role quite nicely as she assists Asa Goldstock, the freshman starter this season, and the other net minders on the roster. But coaching Women’s Lacrosse is just one step on Allie Murray’s next journey. After she is done with the Syracuse Women’s Lacrosse team, she is joining the Navy.

“Just growing up watching the Military Channel and all the opportunities they offer for all kinds of career possibilities,” says Murray. “My uncle went to the academy, my other uncle is in the Marines, I have a cousin in the Air Force but it’s more of something I always wanted to do since I was a little kid.”

A lot of Murray’s preparation to take the next step in her life not only stem from her family, but also from Coach Gait and Assistant Coach Regy Thrope.

“Going forward that’s something I will take with me how they treat the people below them is how I will treat people below me in the military as well.”

Lacrosse has played a huge role in Murray’s life to this point and the former goalie sees how much athletics can be tied into her future career with the armed forces.

“From people skills to time management to work as a team is critical I think there is a lot of similarities between sports and the military and I am excited to have that some team family aspect.”

Murray will finish out the season with the team before she takes off to the Naval Academy in mid-July.