Agriculture, Central New York, Environment, Health

Students Fearful For Future Endeavors After Trump Win

(c) ESF Youtube Channel

Audio

By Emily Adelman SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) — Students at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry are very concerned with their specific careers following the election of Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States.

“Fear, I’m upset I guess. Sadness really and scared. That’s all I can really say,” said environmental science major Alex Cormack. “I think even the professors are terrified. Even in class they were like ‘this is a sad day’.”

Many SUNY-ESF students have a big problem with the fact that Trump does not have faith in the Environmental Protection Agency. “I mean, we just elected a President who does not believe in climate change, Cormack stated. “He does not believe in the Environmental Agency and stuff like that, which a lot of our professors work for, like this is what we do here and he doesn’t respect that.”

Donald Trump, during the primaries, repeatedly claimed that he would “eliminate the Department of Environment Protection,” a term he uses for the EPA.

His newest plan is to downsize the EPA almost completely, making it an almost advisory agency, if that. Trump also plans to eliminate the Clean Power Plan, a plan introduced by President Barack Obama that would limit carbon dioxide emissions of power plants in states, according to the Washington Post.

The fact that Trump has no belief in the EPA is alarming for environmental health major Holly Hayden.

“Getting rid of parts of the EPA.. It’s definitely worrying, especially for my future,” she said. “Our career and just our world in general will be impacted by this in a big way.”

Hayden and other students are upset and fearful for their post-grad life, but try to look at the little silver lining they have.

“I see it as, we have to respect him and we can’t change that he was elected as our President. We have to move on with our lives.”