Arts, Central New York, Feature, Food, International

Sharing Love through Food on Valentines Day

Five chefs prepare the meals for the My Lucky Tummy pop up cafeteria.

By Morgan Gordon SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News) —My Lucky Tummy is a pop up shop held in Syracuse two times a year in various locations that allows the public to enjoy and experience different countries of the world through authentic food.

The creator of the traveling cafeteria is Adam Sudman. He selects five chefs who happen to be refugees that relocated to Syracuse from countries like Bhutan, South Sudan, Ghana, Pakistan, amongst others. The chefs often times do not know each other, but find this to be a great way to make more friends that understand their situation.

“This is my fifth time cooking and I love the people Adam chooses because they are all friendly,” Sommayyah Alizadeah said.

Sommayyah is one of the five chefs and she describes her transition to Syracuse as a way to make a better life for herself and to receive a good education despite having to adjust to the cold weather.

Sommayyah believes it would have been impossible if she wasn’t surrounded by her new found friends when she resettled to Syracuse in 2005 from Iran, but she still wishes her entire family was in America .

” I have my older brother here and my two other sisters, but my parents and two other brothers are still at home,” she said.

Though cooking can’t fill the void of her family members it allows her to express her creative side because she is able to cook a dish her mother taught her at young age and add her personality to it.

“I add a lot of decoration, I love decorations,” she explained.

Decorations are what make the dishes look appeasing to the eye, but the love that the chefs put into the meals is what My Lucky Tummy is all about.